Rogério de Andrade was born in Lourenço Marques, Moçambique, in 1954. He came to South Africa in 1966 where he attended school in White River and Nelspruit in the old Eastern Transvaal. He finished high school in 1973, and carried on with his studies at the Pretoria Technikon where he obtained a diploma in graphic design in 1976. This was followed by a two year stint in the army. In 1979 he joined Turner, Venter & Machado in Johannesburg as a junior graphic designer. Over the years, he worked at several studios as a graphic designer and both art and creative director, until his recent retirement from the industry. His time is now dedicated mostly to his artwork. He exhibits his work regularly in a variety of galleries all over the country and his paintings have become part of many private collections.